From late 2014 through 2016, the GCPO LCC has been preparing initial Ecological Assessments of 9 priority habitat systems, which will form the basis for a first-of-its-kind "State of the GCPO" report. The Assessments use existing LCC-wide digital geospatial datasets to quantify expert-defined metrics of habitat quality. The Assessments inform the LCC's Landscape Conservation Design process, which will spatially depict priority sites and habitats for inclusion in a habitat conservation network across the region and across the Southeast.
Development of the State of the GCPO report includes the following products for each of the 9 priority habitat systems:
- A full Ecological Assessment report, with detailed information on data sources and references.
- An Assessment-in-Brief, which summarizes key results in 6 to 10 pages.
- A series of datasets organized into "galleries," housed on the GCPO LCC Conservation Planning Atlas, which were used in the Ecological Assessment analyses OR a condition index map that shows the status of each priority habitat type when all measurable endpoints are combined (see Blueprint for more detail on this process).
Additionally, some habitats also have posters or other materials that have been developed over the course of the Assessment.
DRAFT ECOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT REPORTS BY PRIORITY HABITAT SYSTEM
- Draft Open Pine Ecological Assessment Report v2
- Draft Open Pine Assessment-in-Brief
- Open Pine Dataset Gallery
Medium-Low Gradient Streams & Rivers:
- Draft Medium-low Gradient Streams and Rivers Ecological Assessment Report
- Assessment-in-Brief: Medium-low Gradient Streams and Rivers
- Medium-low Gradient Streams & Rivers Condition Index map
- Draft Grasslands Ecological Assessment Report (in review)
- Draft Assessment-in-Brief: Grasslands
- Grasslands Condition Index map
- Grassland/Prairie/Savanna Dataset Gallery
- Poster: "A Condition Index for Grassland/Prairie/Savanna in the Gulf Coastal Plain, Mississippi Alluvial Valley, and Ozark Highlands" - May 2016
- Draft Upland Hardwoods Ecological Assessment Report (in progress)
- Draft Upland Hardwoods Assessment-in-Brief
- Upland Hardwood Forests Condition Index map
- Upland Hardwood Woodland Condition Index map
- Draft Ozark Highlands Upland (High Gradient) Streams Ecological Assessment Report
- Draft Upland Streams Assessment-in-Brief
- Upland Streams Condition Index Map
- Draft Forested Wetlands Ecological Assessment Report, v2
- Draft Forested Wetland Assessment-in-Brief
- Forested Wetlands Dataset Gallery
Mainstem "Big" Rivers:
- Draft Mainstem Big Rivers Ecological Assessment Report
- Draft Mainstem Big Rivers Assessment-in-Brief
- Mainstem Big Rivers Condition Index map
Beaches & Dunes:
- Draft Beaches & Dunes Ecological Assessment Report (in progress)
- Draft Beaches & Dunes Assessment-in-Brief (pending)
- Beaches & Dunes Condition Index Map
Estuarine Tidal Marsh:
- Draft Tidal March Ecological Assessment Report v.2
- Draft Tidal Marsh Assessment-in-Brief
- Tidal Marsh Dataset Gallery